Lookin For Something?

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

of good reads

I'm currently sitting at my dining room table letting purple dye sit in my hair. Since I have to be here for a half hour, I figured I'd write a blog post! Woooo~

So, this past month I have rediscovered my love of reading. And now I'm not sure why I ever stopped!! There was a period of time between summer and Christmas that I wasn't reading anything, and now that I think back it all seems kind of boring.

It started with the book Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare. I got it for Christmas. It is the sequel to Ms. Clare's book Clockwork Angel, which I coincidentally got for Christmas the year before. The series is called The Infernal Devices and is the prequel to Cassandra Clare's more popular young adult series The Mortal Instruments. (You may have heard of that one.) This Infernal Devices is set in Victorian times and is about demon hunters in London. It is gory, witty, and quickly-paced. In short, it is amazing. I finished the book in a matter of days and am now in agony waiting for the next one. Too good.

The next book I read is called The Fault in Our Stars and is written by John Green. I love John Green's books. Not only because they are wonderful and interesting, but also just because I love John Green as a person. I could sit here and write for days about why John Green is surely one of the most perfect people God decided to grace this earth with, but I'm afraid you probably wouldn't want to listen to me, so I won't. But this book is officially one of my new favorites. It was beautiful and heart-wrenching. I spent the whole book switching between laughing and crying. That's another thing; this is the only book that has ever made me cry before. Gah. It was amazing. I highly recommend it.

After I finished TFiOS, I went on to read Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr. While this book was not boring to read, I didn't like it very much. It was an interesting concept in itself, but I would have executed it differently. (Not to sound arrogant, or anything.) I would give it 3 out of 5 stars. As I said before, it was interesting. It's about this girl who can see faeries in a world where no one else can. However, the relationship between the two main characters was not believable and there were several parts of the book that were very confusing to read. The sentence flow was rough for much of the book, and the point of view changes disrupted the natural flow of the story. But, it was okay to read.

I just finished The Perks of Being a Wallflower yesterday. And, like The Fault in Our Stars — I loved it. It's one of those books that really makes you think while you read it, and when you've finished with it you just kind of sit there and think some more. I initially read it because Logan Lerman and Emma Watson are starring in the film adaption, and I didn't want to go see the movie without reading the book first. And goodness gracious, I am so happy I did. The book is an epistolary, with the main character being a boy named Charlie. He documents his first year of high school through letters to a friend, and his character was very intriguing. All in all — a fantastic book.

And now we've reached the present!! I'm currently in the middle of Howl's Moving Castle by Dianne Wynne Jones. I decided to read this because I watched the movie a couple weeks ago and LOVED it. The book is not a disappointment so far — while it is different from the movie, it still has the same magical and whimsical feel. I can't wait to finish it!!

Next on my list is Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen and Interworld by Neil Gaiman and Michael Reaves. I can't wait to get to them!! They both look wonderful.

Alright. Until next time.

-Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment