Lookin For Something?

Monday, March 19, 2012

people are people


One of my all-time favorite books is Paper Towns by John Green. I'd only had it from the library before, but last month it was given to me as  a late Christmas present. I reread it as soon as I had thrown away the wrapping paper and I fell in love all over again.

There are so many things that I love about this book, from the characters to the plot to just the style it's written in, but one of the things that I love most about this book is that it makes you think. There is one line in particular that has made me think a lot:

"What a treacherous thing it is to believe that a person is more than a person." (pg 282)

Wow. Just wow.

One thing that's become really huge in our culture is to worship celebrities. I've noticed this a lot recently because of The Hunger Games coming out, and I can say that I am guilty of believing that a person is more than just a person. It's so easy for me to see pictures of Jennifer Lawrence promoting the movie and think, "Wow, she's so perfect. How is she so perfect?"

In reality, she is just a person, like you and me. Sure, she's a really talented person, but she is still just a person. It was so natural to me to put her on this pedestal and to think that she was this flawless superhuman, when in actuality she is just the same as me. It's so easy to lose sight of this sometimes.

I have no doubt in my mind that if I were to meet her in real life, I would go crazy and maybe forget how to talk or maybe talk too much and generally just make a fool of myself. A lot of people would. I think it's because it's so easy to stop thinking of celebrities as even being human and to start thinking of them as this amazing being that's attractive and talented and, well, amazing.

(wow way to go on that last paragraph Mel your writing skills are totally improving I bet everyone totally understood what you were trying to say)

(/sarcasm)

I don't know. It's just something that's been on my mind lately. 

People are people. I'm going to try to remember that!

Okay. Until next time.

—Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment